Full Job Description
WHO WE ARE
“Energizing the Future.”
TransAlta owns, operates, and develops a diverse fleet of electrical generation assets in Canada, the United States, and Australia, providing municipalities, industries, and businesses with safe, low-cost, and reliable clean electricity. For over 111 years, TransAlta has been a responsible operator and proud community member where its employees work and live. We are committed to fostering a dynamic, productive, and safe work environment. Our employees contribute to a diverse, open, and transparent culture with clear accountabilities, strong leadership, and challenging opportunities for personal career growth.
For more information about TransAlta, visit our website at, www.transalta.com.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Operations and Maintenance Technician at the TransAlta corporate building in downtown Calgary. Reporting to the Facilities Lead and working closely with the Operations and Maintenance Technician, this position is a multi-skilled role that performs a variety of maintenance tasks to ensure the optimal operation of building systems.
The Senior Operations and Maintenance Technician will have an overall focus on the safe and efficient maintenance of the building. This is a day-shift position with on-call requirements (3 weeks on-call per month). Occasional after-hours work will be required for special projects.
This is a temporary full-time position and is deemed safety sensitive.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Perform routine checks, troubleshooting, and maintenance of all building systems, including HVAC, boilers, plumbing, drains, electrical, elevators, lighting, waste removal, and roof, calling in technical third-party services where required
- Plan and execute maintenance services, working closely with the Operations and Maintenance Technician
- Liaise with and supervise third-party contractors performing onsite work, ensure compliance with health and safety procedures
- Ensure compliance with building codes and safety regulations
- Develop and implement maintenance schedules, both self-performed and contracted to third parties
- Perform daily, weekly, and monthly routine inspections throughout the building and grounds in accordance with work schedules
- Work collaboratively with team, peers, stakeholders, and support groups to ensure issues are resolved in a professional and productive manner
- Uphold TransAlta values and adhere to the Code of Conduct at all times
- Comply with all TransAlta Safety Policies, Standards and Procedures
- Complete maintenance activities in a timely, competent, and cost-effective manner
- Troubleshoot problems with building systems
- Participate in incident investigations as necessary, seek to continuously improve the health and safety at the facility
- Track and provide detailed reports on routine maintenance tasks, and unplanned maintenance events
- Other duties as required and commensurate with role and qualifications
- Support and contribute to collaboration and open communication amongst the Facilities team
- Assist with development and execution of emergency management (preparedness and response) procedures for work location
- Respond to internal and external customer/business partner needs and concerns with expediency
- Perform infrequent ad hoc tasks as needed such as furniture assembly and moving boxes
- General upkeep including minor carpet repairs, wall patching, and painting
- Act with professionalism at all times
- Other tasks as required
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
- 10 or more years of facility management experience
- 5th Class Power Engineering certificate or equivalent
- Familiarity with building code is desirable
- Excellent work safety record and a safe work attitude
- Valid Class 5 Alberta driver’s license
- Experience liaising with third-party contractors
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment, a team player attitude
- Willing to learn and work within all TransAlta Environmental Health and Safety Policies and Procedures
- Intermediate computer skills, familiarity with Microsoft Office, SharePoint, and SAP
- Ability to work in hot & cold environments, at heights and within confined spaces
- Working knowledge of and the ability to interpret mechanical, electrical and P&ID drawings, specifications, and wiring diagrams is desirable
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- High level of motivation with strong interpersonal skills
- Proven mechanical aptitude
- Able to walk, bend, stoop, balance crawl and reach for extended periods of time, able to lift up to 50lbs, comfortable and able to work on a ladder, lifts, and rooftops
- Successful completion of pre-employment testing is a condition of employment
Become part of our TransAlta team today! We look forward to reviewing your application. All applications will be reviewed in a timely manner to the best of our abilities. We appreciate your patience and understanding during the recruitment process.
Our commitment is to attract and retain the best talent. Some positions may require the successful completion of one or more background checks such as criminal, medical, or compliance. If these verifications are needed, they will be indicated on the job posting.
Our Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
It is our collective mission to ensure that every single employee feels a sense of inclusion and belonging and can show up to work as their true authentic self. TransAlta is committed to hiring a diverse workforce including women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and members of the LGBTQ2+ community. TransAlta believes that diversity enhances the quality of its performance, is an essential element to effective corporate governance, and cultivates a strong workplace culture.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.transalta.com.