Website City of Richmond BC
Full Job Description
Building Maintenance Coordinator
The City of Richmond is committed to be the most appealing, livable, well-managed community in Canada, a goal that is only made possible by developing our most valuable asset – our people. This is a great opportunity to join our team and shape our community. The City of Richmond offers competitive pay programs, comprehensive benefits and attractive incentives. If you are looking to make a difference, and to share our vision “to be the most appealing, livable, and well-managed community in Canada”, then please apply.
Reporting to the Manager, Facility Services, this is a supervisory and technical position involving the coordination of maintenance programs including inspection and repair of the physical building, and related systems for designated City buildings. Some project coordination is also included in the duties of this position. The incumbent will exercise considerable independence of judgement and action within established policies and procedures, discussing policy matters and complex problems that fall outside standard practice with a superior.
Examples of key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Schedules and oversees the provision of building and equipment maintenance, janitorial and custodial services.
- Regularly inspects buildings and premises on a routine basis to identify areas requiring repair or services; or contacts outside contractors for services when appropriate.
- Conducts regular meetings with key stakeholders.
- Supervises the work performed by staff and contractor in building and equipment maintenance, repair, and janitorial services.
- Participates in the development of departmental building maintenance and operating budgets, including monitoring and approving expenditures.
- Assists and oversees implementation of Building Improvement Capital Projects.Ensures work conforms to established standards and regulatory requirements.
- Other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of maintenance methods, schedules, procedures, materials and equipment for building and support systems including experience researching new technologies, products, best practices and processes.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, tools, equipment, mechanical, electrical, fire life safety and building automation control systems used in building support services for planned and unplanned maintenance, and repair work.
- Ability to plan, assign, check and supervise the work of others, participate in the hiring and training of new employees, as well as coach and create motivated teams.
- Sound understanding of standard code requirements, facility operational policies and procedures and building systems and their functions.
- Incumbent must be able to clearly and tactfully communicate City policies and procedures into work objectives to staff and external contacts using both oral and written communication.
- Sound knowledge of budget estimating methods and principles as related to building and related support system maintenance and repair work, as well as the ability to prepare budget estimates and to monitor and control approved operating and maintenance budget allocations.
- Experience with preparing reports and recommendations, as well as preparing and reviewing tenders.
- Knowledge of regulations and guidelines pertaining to WHMIS, WCB, Building Codes and City policies and procedures.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple and constantly changing priorities, where clear decision making is critical.
- Ability to identify “MEP” mechanical, electrical and plumbing issues.
- The incumbent must possess excellent written and verbal communication and customer service skills.
- Ability to use software programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and REDMS or a similar records management system.
- Experience using a Computerized Maintenance Management System or Building Asset Management System.
- Ability to effectively liaise with operations and City departments including clients, contractors and authority’s to complete work without negatively impacting City Programs.
- Ability to effectively coordinate and plan work tasks to ensure all jobs are executed according to scope of work and/or project requirements.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12, plus one (1) year of community college or specialized technical certification (such as Building Operator, BOMI, IFMA Certification, or Power Engineering Certification), plus five years related experience working in a supervisory capacity in a building maintenance environment, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s Licence for the Province of British Columbia required.
- Thorough knowledge in the application, operations and maintenance of physical building and related systems as it relates to building operations, energy management, HVAC, DDC controls, lighting and security systems.
- Minimum 5 years experience in commercial building operations and maintenance.
- Thorough knowledge of HVAC (heating ventilation air conditioning), mechanical, fire life safety and electrical systems.
- Demonstrated ability in a wide range of maintenance skills such as carpentry, plumbing, mechanics, janitorial, electrical and use of manual and mechanical tools.
- Preference will be given to individuals holding; BOMI, IFMA, Power Engineering or Trades Certificate.
To apply for this job please visit tre.tbe.taleo.net.